Update @ 5:45pm – Wednesday, 27 February 2018: The fire is now contained and under control. People on Beaufort Street near the intersection of Eighth Avenue will no longer be impacted by fumes. The northbound bus lane on Beaufort Street, Inglewood is still closed between Seventh Avenue and Ninth Avenue. Firefighters are monitoring the situation.
Update @ 10:45am – Wednesday, 27 February 2018: There is now minimal smoke in the area and officials are no longer warning people in the area to remain inside.
Update @ 9:35pm – Tuesday, 27 February 2018: The northbound bus lane on Beaufort Street, Inglewood is still closed between Seventh Avenue and Ninth Avenue.
Update @ 11:00am – Tuesday, 27 February 2018: People in an area bounded by Eighth Avenue, Inglewood Lane, Seventh Avenue and Clifton Crescent should stay indoors with doors and windows closed. Air conditioners should also be switched off.
Update @ 12:00am – Tuesday, 27 February 2018: An evacuation centre has been established at the Inglewood Autumn Centre at the Inglewood Civic Centre, 895 Beaufort Street in Inglewood.
The fire in the hardware store is contained and controlled. There is minimal smoke in the area. Majority of evacuated residents have returned home, except for those adjacent to the hardware store.
— Nadia Mitsopoulos (@NadiaMits) February 26, 2018
WHAT TO DO:
- People should stay away from the area. If you are already in the area take advice from emergency services personnel.
- People with medical concerns should contact their local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- Residents who have any concerns with residue from the fire on vehicles or hard surfaces are advised to hose down and/or wash the affected area with a mild soap or detergent, and avoid direct contact with skin.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Beaufort Street is reduced to one lane northbound between Central Avenue and Ninth Avenue
A number of roads have reopened including:
- Beaufort Street southbound between Central Avenue and Ninth Avenue
- Clifton Crescent between Seventh Avenue and Eighth Avenue
- Seventh Avenue between Beaufort Street and Clifton Crescent
- Eighth Avenue between Beaufort Street and Clifton Crescent
- Inglewood Lane
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel.
Road information may also be available by calling Main Roads WA on 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are cooling hot spots and monitoring the fire.
- Approximately 10 career Fire and Rescue Service firefighters and support staff are attending.
- ChemCentre and the Department of Environment and Regulation Pollution Response Unit are providing technical support to DFES.
- Air monitoring in the area has found no toxins over health criteria levels however the density of smoke would be likely to cause respiratory irritation.
- Testing will continue this morning as smoke dissipates from the area.
- DFES is working with the City of Stirling, the property owner amd key stakeholders to expedite the recovery operation.
The incident was reported at 26/02/2018 21:03:00 and at this time the cause of the incident is unknown