In April 2017, Child Abuse Squad detectives commenced an investigation into the activities of a 43 year old Marangaroo man after it was alleged he sexually assaulted and indecently recorded three young girls who were known to him.
As part of the investigation detectives executed a search warrant on the man’s home where they seized 19 computers and electronic storage devices. During an initial inspection of these devices, detectives located child exploitation material.
As a result of the initial investigation and inspection of the electronic devices the man was charged with the below offences and appeared in the Perth Magistrates Court on 7 April 2017.
• 10 counts of Indecent Dealing with a Child aged under 13 years;
• One count of Possess Child Exploitation material;
• One count of Sexual Penetration of a Child aged under 13 years; and
• One count of Sexual Relationship with Children.
Child Abuse Squad detectives and Technology Crime Services investigators conducted further analysis of the seized electronic devices, viewing over 12 million electronic images and recordings.
It is alleged during this analysis, investigators located approximately two million child exploitation material images and identified another six female victims aged between five and nine years of age.
On 20 July 2017, Child Abuse Squad detectives further charged the man with:-
• 39 counts of Indecent Dealing with a Child under 13 years;
• 16 counts of Sexual Penetration with a Child under 13 years;
• Eight counts of Indecently Record a Child under 13 years;
• One count of Possess Child Exploitation Material; and
• One counts of Distribute Child Exploitation Material.
The 43 year old man is due to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court on 24 July 2017.